CFN.com has been running Cirminiello’s ratings in 20-man installments all week, with the top 20 posted today. The highest-rated SEC player on his list is Florida quarterback Chris Leak at No. 4. Here’s what Cirminiello has to say about Leak:
4. QB Chris Leak, Florida – Urban Meyer’s in his second season at Florida. Leak’s in his second season with Meyer. Expectations for 2006 will be soaring in Gainesville. If nothing else, last year proved Leak was not a perfect match for the spread-option, but he’s still a terrific quarterback, who found a way to account for 3,000 yards and 26 touchdowns in last year’s up-and-down season.
Cirminiello’s top five is fairly predictable. It reads as follows:
1. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
2. Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
3. Troy Smith, QB, Ohio State
5. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
The other SEC players who made Cirminiello’s top 100 are:
13. Kenny Irons, RB, Auburn
22. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
32. Brandon Cox, QB, Auburn
35. JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
36. Erik Ainge, QB, Tennessee
43. Ken Darby, RB, Alabama
44. Arian Foster, RB, Tennessee
51. Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia
56. Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina
57. Rafael Little, RB, Kentucky
61. Alley Broussard/Justin Vincent, RB, LSU
67. Brent Schaeffer, QB, Ole Miss
72. Blake Mitchell, QB, South Carolina
73. Thomas Brown, RB, Georgia
Interestingly enough, three members of the Cal team that invades Neyland Stadium for Tennessee’s Sept. 2 opener made the top 100. They are running back Marshawn Lynch at No. 14, quarterback Nate Longshore at No. 58 and backup running back Justin Forsett at No. 91.
To view Cirminiello’s entire list, go to collegefootballnews.com and click on the “Heisman 100” link.